Delicious Gluten & Yeast Free Bread Recipe
Makes 1 loaf
Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 7.
- 260g Gluten Free Flour Co Plain Flour blend
- 100g teff flour
- 40g dried milk or 10g soy powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 300 ml buttermilk, approx. (if you don’t have buttermilk, add 2 dsp white wine vinegar to 300ml full-fat milk and leave to stand for a few minutes) You can make this with dairy free milk as well.
Dust a baking sheet with gluten-free flour. Sieve all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the egg and most of the buttermilk. Using a spatula, pull flour from the outer edge of the bowl into the well in the centre in bigger and bigger circles until all the flour is incorporated. The dough should be soft but holding together. Add a little more buttermilk if necessary. Do not overwork the dough. When it has all come together, turn it out onto a gluten-free floured worktop.
With clean hands, and a little extra flour on your fingers, roll the dough quickly into a ball. Pat the dough down to about 5cm high.
Place the dough on the baking tray. With a sharp knife cut a deep cross in it.
Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 175°C/gas mark 4 for a further 35 minutes or until cooked. If in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread, if it is cooked it will sound hollow.
Buy our Gluten Free flour blend here