This is one of our all-time favourite cakes. With a light, soft sponge and lemony, crunchy topping, it makes a delicious dessert or the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea. This cake is a timeless classic and you'll never even know it's gluten-free!
- 150g dairy free margarine or butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 140g Gluten Free Flour Co plain flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 40g ground almonds
- 1 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 1 tsp Isabel’s baking fix (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons and juice of half a lemon
- 50g granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 and a half lemons
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line either a 2lb loaf tin or square tin (a square tin is perfect if you want extra topping!)
Cream the butter or margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth and lighter in colour. This is easier using a mixer.
Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk lightly.
Now add the egg little by little, whisking each time into the mixture.
Add the vanilla extract.
Mix the flour and the ground almonds in another bowl. Add the xanthan or guar gum, baking fix (if you have got it) and baking powder.
Now start adding this into the egg/butter/sugar mixture, beating well.
Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and beat thoroughly, until a thick dropping consistency is achieved. Spoon the mixture into the tin, and lightly smooth surface with a wet spatula.
Bake in oven for approx 40 minutes, covering with foil or baking parchment if it browns too quickly.
Cake should be light brown, risen and a skewer should come out clean.
Meanwhile, mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice and remaining lemon zest together.
When the cake is cooked, prick the top of it with a skewer and gently pour the lemon/sugar syrup over it so that it soaks into the cake.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin then cool fully on a wire rack.
Download the recipe PDF here
Watch our YouTube video here